Thursday, June 5, 2014

Scratch Board

I used creativity in this piece because I came up with the idea of a mermaid to show the movement and texture. There are many textures going on like the roughness of the log, the scales on the tail, and the flowiness of the hair and the seaweed. I think I achieved the goal of texture and movement in this piece. I also like the values I have. It was weird to do the reverse and draw in the highlights instead of the shadows, but it was cool, too. It was hard not being able to erase stray lines or mistakes you made but that's what art is about. I liked doing this because it reminded me of my childhood when I used to play with these. I think I took a risk by choosing a topic that isn't real. It was hard to find references, but I think it turned out looking like the normal idea of a mermaid. I solved a problem at one point in this piece because originally, I drew the hair behind the body and I started scratching it off there, but I realized that wouldn't make sense, so I had to fix it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment